- nouna weapon that kills or injures civilian as well as military personnel (nuclear and chemical and biological weapons)• Syn: ↑weapon of mass destruction, ↑W.M.D.• Topics: ↑military, ↑armed forces, ↑armed services, ↑military machine, ↑war machine• Hypernyms: ↑weapon, ↑arm, ↑weapon system• Hyponyms:↑bioweapon, ↑biological weapon, ↑bioarm, ↑chemical weapon, ↑nuclear weapon, ↑atomic weapon, ↑high explosive
* * *abbrevWeapon(s) of mass destruction
* * *WMD UK [ˌdʌb(ə)ljuː em ˈdiː] US [ˌdʌb(ə)lju em ˈdi] noun [plural]weapons of mass destruction: nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons http://www.macmillandictionary.com/med2cd/weblinks/wmd.htm
* * *abbr. weapon(s) of mass destruction
* * *abbrweapons of mass destruction
* * *WMD 7 [WMD] [ˌdʌbljuː em ˈdiː] [ˌdʌbljuː em ˈdiː] abbreviationExample Bank:
The likelihood of terrorists using WMD is low, but their successful use could cause massive casualties.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.